Servers are basically pure hardware, and a core basic operating system that creates a superfast computer which processes your data requests in a vastly more rapid way than your home computer does out on the web. The most widely used servers on the web are: Linux and Windows. Linux servers are considered to be the best for web hosting when compared to Windows. The Linux file server allows the files present on the server to be edited and viewed on any Windows 95 or Windows 98 or Windows ME or Windows 2000 or Windows NT or a Mac. There is lot of Linux server software in the market today. Some of them are 64studio, aptosid, Finnix, Elive etc. The Linux file servers have lot of advantages:
- It helps in backing up all the files present in the network servers regularly.
- It helps in retrieving a deleted file even if you have done it by mistake.
- Many people might be working on a single document. At such times, it helps in sharing the file with everyone. It stores the file in the shared directory which lets each individual to work on the same document.
The Linux virtual server runs on the Linux operating systems and is very flexible. They are compatible too. It provides a virtual control on all the things that are stored into the server. It has many advantages which are as follows:
- It provides good security of the data.
- It is user-friendly and simple to use.
- It attracts small as well as big business organizations.
- It is reliable and thus it maintains integrity to the clients.
- When compared to other servers, the Linux servers are much cheaper.
- It helps in rebooting individual units without disturbing mother server.
- It helps in saving electricity usage and solves the problem of the space crunch.
- It helps in configuring and customizing the server depending on the client requirements.